Forts are Fun

by Jo on December 5, 2012

So one of the most amazing things about raising our special needs son Andrew is the joy he finds in the things most of us overlook or take for granted. His laughter and unfiltered happiness is absolutely contagious and we can never seem to get enough of his smile.

Tonight he discovered the fort that his daddy built for his brother Ian yesterday. It’s been up in the room they share for two whole days now, but it wasn’t until this evening that Andrew really noticed it and went inside to check it out.

The video below says it all. This kid loves life and reminds us to take time to enjoy the simple pleasures. Happiness doesn’t have to be complicated. Sometimes all you need is a makeshift fort.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Jennie B December 5, 2012 at 5:18 am

I love how he checked it out on the outside as well as the inside too.

Reminds me of a few days ago when my son walked into my daughter’s room and saw a hanging solar system that she and our babysitter had put up. The joy on his face was amazing.

Jo December 5, 2012 at 5:48 am

Haha! I know, it made me so happy to see him enjoy it so much. He’s the same with at the beach. What?! Another wave? And another?! They keep coming! lol! And yes, I know that joy well. Sounds like you are lucky to be able to experience it with your own son!

Aggie December 5, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I miss that precious squeal!! So beautiful to see him so happy!

Kasia December 5, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Love the video Jo, so sweet!

Crystal December 5, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Made my day, Jo! Loved it!

amy December 5, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Pure emotional happiness <3

Jennifer Fyne December 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I love this video so much! My son was just officially diagnosed with autism and my husband and I are waiting for the results to see how highly impacted he is. Needless to say, we are going through many emotional ups and downs. The way you all are so happy and excited is truly inspiring. At the end of the day, it’s all about unconditional love, hope and strength. Thank you for shedding light on me during this gloomy time. :)